Faith Like A Child

Friday, August 25, 2006

1st encounter

I am out on my own again walking around downtown after viewing the studio apartment. Well, it need social security number to rent the place. I can only get it if i apply through school and start working. Well, 1 door closed. I am pretty set on where i want to stay, but I just need some assurance from God.

I walked to river street, the tourist area. Sat at a nice shady area facing the river. Is a amazing river, a big cargo ship can actually go through there. I cant imagine how deep it is. I took out my cheapo memo pad and start sketching. A big size black sat on a bench a staircase width away. "Nice weather it is today." He said as he take out his lunch and eat. I turn around and smile at him and contiunue on my sketching.

Not long, I realise he is beside me and start talking to me. He told me when he is young he used to sketch too. It was a busy street with lots of tourist so I feel is alright to chat awhile, I do not feel any fear anyway. His name is Robert, 43yrs old. We start chatting and I asked him how's the area like at 36th? Since he is a black, I tot he is from that area. He then told me he is actaully from South Carolina (Just a highway bridge away). The last time he came here was during 2004 and then now back in Savannah. He shared with me that people get crazy when they are on drugs like weeds. He got shot on his leg and got stabbed at his neck before. He showed me his bullet wound. He told me what happen but i shan't share that..is kinda long. Well, the thing is wherever i am I just have to be caution of my surroundings and he say let God's spirit wintin me to guide me. He was facinated when he realise there are Singaporean chinese, China chinese and Japan Chinese. AHahha...and he had a good laugh after hearing my chinese name.

A man selling roses made of a kind of long leaf stop by and chat...They made roses to sell to tourist. Guess what he made it and gave me for free. Red is what people around called him. (He got red hair)

He then start sharing with me his expereince with God. I also shared with him my testimony about my studies. Man...is such an expereince. He said he just start going church and he wants to go more. He offer to bring me to his church...but is a highway away and have to take bus and he wanted to meet up again but well, i just can't give him a time now i am still unsettled and I still gota to be caution and i tell him frankly about it. If God wants us to meet, we shall again. :) He offer to walk me back to library... again i tell him i still got to be caution so i have to reject his offer. He is cool about it and agrees thats the way i should handle it. He say will keep me in prayers and God's protection will be surrounding me. :) We go our seperate ways at river street.

It was my 1st experience to have a solid talk with stranger and is a black. Is really cool! How often do you get to do this back in singapore? But, I know I still have to caution about things and people. I do hope what he say is true, that my faith in God have touch and motivate him.

Just a thought : Do we often have build a "stay away from me" wall around us and have lost many opportunites to touch or encourage others?

3 Comments:

Blogger Cal said...

Remember the verse to be " wise as serpents but gentle as doves" (Matt 10:16) Nothing wrong to be cautious u know. We don't have to have a "stay away from me" wall, but guess we need to be street smart. In the end, if we stay close to the Father, we will know what to do when we relate to people we do not know. He promised that He will guide as when we acknowledge Him in whatsoever we do... ( Shiok man. The scenery at the river must be fantastic)

11:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, I like what you have written today! It is cool to be able to speak with anyone that comes along when you are alone. And of course, being assertive and not giving others a chance to do something 'bad' ;) You reminded me of my stay in Cape Town! Enjoy your stay in Savannah!! ;D

11:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sounds cool..sketching by the river =) think the Americans are much more friendly and open to strangers, but then again, yes, you're right to be careful, after all you're new to the place still.
and your quote at the end is very true indeed.. think I've been building a wall around me all these while..that's why people think i'm cold and "dao". haha.

10:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home